Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Hari Raya Aidil Adha

Next Tuesday, Muslim around the world will celebrate Eidul Adha or Hari Raya Haji as it is popularly known in Malays. This celebration is an important occasion in Islam. It’ll take place on the tenth day of the twelfth and last month (Zul Hijjah) of the Islamic calendar (Hijra). In 2006 this celebration will fall on the 10th of January.

Eidul Adha marks the occasion when Prophet Abraham (Ibrahim) was willing to sacrifice his son to show his obedience to Allah. It is particularly significance for pilgrims who will be completing a pilgrimage (Hajj) to Makkah in the month of Zul Hijjah.

The day begins with prayers in the Holy Mosque followed with a sacrifice of an animal in commemoration of Abraham's sacrifice of a lamb in place of his son. One-third of the meat is given to the poor, and the rest shared by family and friends. Muslims will wear their best clothes and prepare foods for friends and family. They will visit each other and sometimes exchange presents and cards.

In Malaysia, the celebration is more popularly celebrated in the east coast states such as Kelantan and Terengganu. I can say that almost every household will have at least one sacrifice. Kelantanese staying all over Malaysia will take this opportunity to return to home to visit relatives and friends. The kids will line up early in the morning with the hope of getting big fat green packet.

My mother and I will have our sacrifices as usual. I’ve been doing this since I started working. So, this is kind of annual ritual for me. All of us will be home for the celebration except for Angah. I was hoping that he can make it this time. It will not be the same if one of us is not around. I might be making some cookies if I have time tomorrow. Else, I’ll just buy some from the shops. At least we have something for the kids.

No comments: