Friday, January 27, 2006

Friday rambling..

Lots of interesting and silly things happened in these past few days. It seems like my responsibility have expanded threefold in a matter of hours. Having to provide “technical consult” to new engineers and potential of being pulled for new project are among other things that happened to me. Suddenly, I feel very old and overwhelmed. When I look around, I realize that there are only three “seniors” left in our group including me. The rest have moved on.

It seems just like yesterday that I put my foot in this company. Fresh from university, I don’t really know what to expect but I come with open mind. Now, I’ve been here for nearly three years and I actually quite like it. I saw so many changes around me, people being laid off, division spin off etc but I keep myself motivated. I put aside the opportunity to go to Shell and decided to grow myself here in RF and Microwave.

Keeping myself grounded is the hardest thing to do. I’m used to being in hard and challenging environment but it is nothing compared to office politics. I’m distancing myself from all of these, doesn’t really want to indulge in the gossip or rumors, but I’m aware of what is happening around me. Suffice to say that I get on well with my colleagues but I’m refraining myself from getting too close to any of them. I respected people opinion and decision but I have my own way of doing things. I do cross the line sometimes but I think the experience thought me new things.

I’ve never really trust other people. Called me paranoid but I think it is a “dog eats dog” world out there. Only the strongest survive. I trust my instinct but I’m open to suggestions and advice. It just that I’ll never really take people at their words, especially if they talk too much. Most of them will either be bragging or talking rubbish. But show me the facts and you’ll have my ears.

No comments: