Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Let's eat Okanomiyaki


This Japanese cuisine looks like a mixture of pancake and pizza. I don’t know of any place in Penang that served this dish and halal so I’d decided to make one based on some recipes that I found on the net.

The batter is made of flour, dashi or water and shredded cabbage. As the name suggest I can use anything that I like as a topping be it squids, shrimps, onion, meat etc. The batter is prepared like a pancake. I cook it on both sides and spread the topping. The finish pancake is served with other condiments like the sauce, nori and mayonnaise.

Since I cannot find the Okonomiyaki sauce here, I resume to make some based on the recipes from the net. I used some tomato puree, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dark soya sauce, sugar, dashi and some cornstarch to thicken it. It doesn’t taste that bad and I’m enjoying it very much. There is something else that is missing in my Okanomiyaki which is the ‘tenkasu’. It is actually the tempura scum or rice bubbles as fondly known by some people. I think the tenkasu will add some crispiness to the finish product but since I cannot find it, I’d decided to skip it.

Being me, I squeeze lots and lots of mayonnaise on it and put some cheese as well. Well, even though mine is not the real Okonomiyaki, I’m sure it can be called the fusion Okonomiyaki…Hail the fusion queen. Does the photo make you hungry ?

No comments: