Sunday, March 19, 2006

Bring on the dessert

I saw this glossy photo of Chinese dessert that incorporates snow fungi, red dates in the Food Magazine. It looks pretty nice but I’d never really have one from the restaurants here as I don’t know if they serve one. Maybe they do, but I still want to make one for my Sunday’s lunch.

I bought the dried snow fungi, red dates and longan from Tesco. As I was leaving the aisle, I spotted a pack of Chinese dessert ingredient (pre pack) that is touted to be able to cool the body. Well, that sound interesting and I bought a pack to try. According to the instruction at the back, the ingredient can be added into bird nest, red bean and other concoctions to make a wonderful dessert. Hmmm.. I think cooking it with the snow fungi, red dates and longan doesn’t sound that bad either and that is exactly what I’d done.

I soaked the dried ingredient until it is slightly softer before simmering them together with few cups of water. I admit that the result doesn’t disappoint me at all. I put some ice in there and it taste great. The slight crunchiness of the snow fungi is a delight. Maybe next time I can consider making the one using the rock sugar.. hmmm…

No comments: