Monday, March 06, 2006

My Sunday Lunch

My housemate just went out for lunch and I have no plan of eating out. My mind is fixed on this glossy page of my Japanese cookbook. It would be lovely if I have a plate teriyaki chicken or some futomaki for lunch. But I just don’t want to go out and spent huge amount of money on Japanese food in the Kampachi Restaurant or Shushi King. Well, at least not today.

After checking out my tiny pantry, I came out with some eggs, Japanese rice, chicken, shoyu, some leafy vegitable and a packet of Miso soup. That would do for today’s lunch. I’d decided to make Chicken ‘Teriyaki’, Miso Soup, and fried egg and eat it with fluffy Japanese Rice. Few cups of Green Tea will follow later.

Typical teriyaki sauce will require shoyu, sake, mirin and some caster sugar. So, I cannot really buy one of those imported teriyaki sauce as it won’t be halal. So, I’ve just mixed some shoyu and sugar and add in some honey. This will make the chicken shiny when I used the marinating mixture for glazing later. I’d also add in some ginger and garlic to it. The chicken was marinated for about one hour before I grilled it.

For the Miso Soup, I’d added in some fishball, fishcake, shiitake mushroom and some mustard leaves or shungiku in Japanese (I think that is what it is called in Japan). The soup tastes better and full bodied after the entire combo was added in. I cooked the Japanese short rice as I would normally cook my normal rice but with slightly less water, else the rice will be mushy and damp. I’d added in some chopped seaweed and freshly ground peppercorn to the egg mixture and pan fried it like an omelet.

After eating all that lovely food, I washed it down with cold green tea. Uhhhu… I have a nice Japanese lunch today….at a fraction of the normal cost. That is what people called, live frugally….

No comments: