Monday, March 06, 2006

What a lovely dessert


Thais are creative lots. Give them coconut milk, fresh fruits and some sticky rice, and they’ll whip out a wonderful desert for you in minutes.

I saw my office mate bought this lovely mango dessert in from Thai’s corner in Tesco last week but I think it was too sweet to my liking. So, I tried making my own mango dessert for the first time last night and the result wasn’t too bad. Though I admit that a little more sugar would improve the overall result, I succumb to the thought of eating anymore sugar especially at night.

I cook the sticky rice with pandan leaf. The sticky rice that I ate in Tesco was cooked with sugar – so it was a little on the sweet side, which I don’t like. So, I’d decided not to add sugar in mine. I prepare the coconut sauce by simmering some coconut milk with sugar. I did not add in any thickener in it as I want to taste the freshness of the coconut milk itself. Some diced mangoes complete the whole ensemble. I served it cold by topping the sticky rice with diced mango and some coconut sauce. Hmmm….

No comments: