Thursday, October 20, 2005

Losing a friend

During my lifetime, I acquire many acquaintances through school, work, travel, hobbies, and other activities. Through the process of cultivation a few of these acquaintances become friends and a bunch of them grow to be my best friend. We started as a stranger, so careful yet bold. But then after we get to know each other, I began to unfold.

Some friendships last a lifetime. Others last a period of time and slowly dissolve due to changes and transitions in my life. In school, my close friends may have moved to another town or drifted away due to a change in common interests. Perhaps a close friend at work changed employment; although the friendship remains, it takes on a new demeanor because we’ll not see each other as often anymore.

What happens when a friend leaves or dies? No matter what the circumstances surrounding it, the shock can be overwhelming, and I find myself asking, “How could this happened?” “I can’t believe he/she is gone!”

Then I realize that the time shared with my friend is now gone forever. No other friend can take the place of the friend I lost or the confidences I shared. Sometimes I feel that a part of me has died because no other person can take that friend’s place.

Then the pain of grief occurs, I feel confuse, guilty, helpless and angry. The sound of our favorite song, the sight of a beautiful sunset or the smell of a familiar fragrance can bring a torrential rain of tears. For no specific reason, tears will flow. Whatever it is, I believe that for all of us, this day will arrive, when it is finally time to say goodbye.

No comments: